David Bowie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Bowie

A David Bowie Forum.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The debut album...

Go down 
+3
Ladymoondust
macarawni
playlife
7 posters
AuthorMessage
playlife
Absolute Beginner
playlife

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Anyone else got this or listened to it?

I looked for reviews before I brought it to try and give me an idea what it would be like and most of it came back negative from many DB fans, so it didn't raise much hope.

I plumped for the deluxe edition in the end which gives you most of his stuff before 1969, including the brilliant 'Laughing Gnome'. But I'm still finding it very hard to get into. It's such a diffetent style of music to anything else I have heard him do.

One thing I have noticed is he maybe young and almost naive, but he still seems to be adding a character to each song to try and seperate the material

Highlight for me so far from the actual released album is 'Love you Till Tuesday'. It is stupidly catchy and check out how young the legend himself is!

Would be interested to know if this album grew on anyone at all, that's if anyone has heard it!

Back to top Go down
macarawni
Absolute Beginner
macarawni

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I HAVE heard this and its actualy one of my favorites, i own it. Extremly catchy, its one of those songs you cant put on repeat and not get annoyed! Although i love it i dont know much about this track itself. So the video you posted is like credits or something? What is that from? If its a movie i will freak because that would be soooo awesome!!!!!
Back to top Go down
playlife
Absolute Beginner
playlife

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2011 8:05 am

At a guess I think it would have something to do with this

Still can't get into the album as much but I do think some of the extra stuff on Disc Two is decent enough.

One of the (good) songs Ching-A-Ling features in that film, with his girlfriend at the time Hermione Farthingale.

She walked out on him on the final day of the shoot (she should have featured in Space Oddity) after Bowie discovered she had been seeing dancer and musician Stephen Reinhardt. She is the girl "with the mousy hair" and "hooked to the silver screen" in 'Life on Mars'.

No one has seen her since but I bet she regrets walking out on the coolest man on the planet.
Back to top Go down
Ladymoondust
Thin White Duke
Ladymoondust

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 12:14 pm

I have this album and i like it! i have to admit that there is a lot of difference from the other Bowie tracks, but the fact is that all his works are really differents, so i dont have any problem to listen to this one too! Is so "young" and pretty!
Back to top Go down
Eleanor
Queen Bitch
Eleanor

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I also have this album, but I just couldn't get into it. >:
I feel bad because I love Bowie so much. Just...not this album. haha.
Maybe I should try again soon.
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:26 am

This album is a bit too Sesamy Street for me, but I have to say, I have not realy given it much of a chance. Perhaps I should?
Back to top Go down
Ladymoondust
Thin White Duke
Ladymoondust

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:22 pm

why not ? Smile
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Indeed Smile
Back to top Go down
playlife
Absolute Beginner
playlife

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

I think to get the best from this album, you need to play it in your car or at least somewhere where you can discipline yourself not to skip any tracks.

I think I had it in mine for about four weeks and I'm not going to lie, at first it was doing my head in a bit.

But after a few listens I found it much easier to go along with and much to my surprise there are three songs I would take off this and put in my personal Bowie 'hall of fame'. Three more than I expected.

'Love You Till Tuesday' I have already wrote about in my first post. 'Silly Boy Blue' was of the annoying songs I actually grew to really like and 'She's Got Medals' I think is just funny and brilliant.

One other thing is does anyone think the band Sweet ripped off 'Join The Gang's' piano riff for Ballroom Blitz?
Back to top Go down
Vicky T
Absolute Beginner

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:08 pm

One song that I like from that album is "Rubberband"
very quirky and polka-ish, but it's catchy
Back to top Go down
badger
Absolute Beginner

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 am

To me, this album is sooo much better than it gets credit for. In fact the whole deram period. For me, it's better than the Space Oddity hippie period. The songs are so damn bouncy, I don't know how they weren't hits - yet subtle slips in a lot of the Bowie mainstay - gender confusion "She's Got Medals", bleak dystopian futures "We Are Hungry Men", for example. Then there's the voice - often derided as an Anthony Newly pastiche, check out the sweaping vocals on When I Live My Dream & Silly Boy Blue - classics. If yr not sure, look for his 2001 version & work backwards...

can't post a link as I'm a newbie, but if you go to youtube, bowie silly boy blue tibet 2001.... although, if you're here you probably already know how the internet works!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The debut album... Empty
PostSubject: Re: The debut album...   The debut album... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The debut album...
Page 1 of 1