David Bowie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Bowie

A David Bowie Forum.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Have you met or seen David Bowie?

Go down 
+8
LadyStardust
Eleanor
ziggsstar
MoonageDaydream
MissPacman
MissNewKillerStar
GothicBowie
Michaela
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Michaela
Admin
Michaela

Have you met or seen David Bowie? Empty
PostSubject: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Have you seen/met David Bowie before?
Where and when was it you met him?
Back to top Go down
https://davidbowieforum.forumotion.com
GothicBowie
Absolute Beginner
GothicBowie

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 1:35 pm

I have seen Bowie 5 times,

First time was "spider Glass tour'' 1987 , great visual show, pitty that i lost some attention in Bowie around that times because of that album ''never let me down''

Second time was the ''sound + tour'' 1990, he play alot of his hits that day, great gig , but not his best in my eyes

the best gig of them all was ''Outside 1" tour 1996 when he was kinda going experimental with his songs, very good expeimental version of ''Heroes''
too me the best gig after that gig @ Glass spider tour

same year i saw him headliner @ the festival Rock Werchter

and then 1997 "Earthling tour'' i saw him again at the same festival

I missed the reality tour and still sad about that
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/GothicBowie
MissNewKillerStar
Diamond Dog
MissNewKillerStar

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:21 am

no Sad I'm just 16 so I was too young to see him when he did the reality tour :S I REALLY hope I'll get a chance to see him!
Back to top Go down
MissPacman
Cracked Actor
MissPacman

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 pm

MissNewKillerStar wrote:
no Sad I'm just 16 so I was too young to see him when he did the reality tour :S I REALLY hope I'll get a chance to see him!

I'm 16 too
Back to top Go down
MissNewKillerStar
Diamond Dog
MissNewKillerStar

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 am

MissPacman wrote:
MissNewKillerStar wrote:

I'm 16 too

Actually I think we are almost more people here which are in our age... ALMOST Wink He's really not one of those old singers who only have the same old fans as when they were 20!
Back to top Go down
MoonageDaydream
Cracked Actor
MoonageDaydream

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:54 am

Never seen him. Sad

Did he ever come to Canada? I hope someday I will see him!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/KeithyLover18
MissNewKillerStar
Diamond Dog
MissNewKillerStar

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 pm

MoonageDaydream wrote:
Never seen him. Sad

Did he ever come to Canada? I hope someday I will see him!

I guess he did, it would be quite strange if he hadn't Wink
Back to top Go down
Michaela
Admin
Michaela

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 am

I wish I was able to go and see him, I wasn't born until 1992, so most of the shows I wasn't born, and the others I was too young to go.
Back to top Go down
ziggsstar
Absolute Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Guys,

Right! I am going to bore you to death Smile

First seen Bowie in 1973 (I was 15) when he did his legendary 'Ziggy Stardust Tour'. This was at Coventry Theatre, England (my home city). I had been into Bowie since 1971 and the show literally blew me away! Nothing like that had ever been seen before - the line-up: Mick Ronson guitar (brilliant), Trevor Bolder bass, Woody Woodmansey drums and Mike Garson piano (the Aladdin Sane piano solo was unreal).

I next saw him in 1976 at the Wembley Arena in London England. This was his 'Thin White Duke Tour' around the time of the Station to Station Album, and just after his starring role in the film 'The man Who Fell to Earth'. He was stick thin and gaunt, probably due to the copious amounts of drugs he was doing at the time. It was a great show though. My abiding memory was the sickly sweet smell that pervaded the arena when the lights went down and the show began - it was of course, everybody spliffing up! But I was a naive lad at the time.

A few years passed (by this time I was married) and we saw him at the Milton Keynes Bowl, England in 1983. This was his 'Serious Moonlight Tour'. It was all a bit too 'showbizzy' for me, but he put on a good set. I think that show was best viewed on the released DVD of the same name.

3 years later I saw him at Wembley Stadium, London England. It was 1987. I was with a bunch of mates and we were pretty much drunk by the time we got to London! We were stuck at the back of the huge stadium and had to rely on the crappy plasma screens. It was by his own admission, way over the top, in terms of production. This is what led him on to form Tin machine (the most underrated albums of Bowie's work).

Finally (by this time my we had our first child) I saw him at the national Exhibition Center, Birmingham, England in 1990. He called it his 'Sound+Vision Tour'. It was a stripped down set with a 4 man backing band - Adrian Bewley was brilliantly mad on guitar. The backdrop was a giant screen with choreographed sequences synced to his live performance. It must have been 60 feet high at least! Most of the scenes featured The Canadian La La La Human Steps dance troupe - it was amazing, and I was only 4 rows from the front of the stage!

That was the last time! I fear he will never do another major world tour. He is not in the best of health and his voice seems to have degraded (unthinkable! I know!) I hope I am proved wrong though. He really is a true living legend, and his music has been part of the fabric of my life.
Back to top Go down
Eleanor
Queen Bitch
Eleanor

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:59 pm

Holy shit! Zigg, you're so lucky. D:
I would give anything to see him live just one time.
Damn, you saw Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke. I'm really jealous.
Back to top Go down
ziggsstar
Absolute Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Eleanor wrote:
Holy shit! Zigg, you're so lucky. D:
I would give anything to see him live just one time.
Damn, you saw Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke. I'm really jealous.

Hi Eleanor,

Looking back...yep, I guess I was lucky to be around during what was probably the most creative part of his career. I was 14 (put an extra year on myself in my original post!) and sure, it was mind-blowing, like I said. But it only really sunk in a couple of years later that I had probably witnessed one of rock & rolls most iconic incarnations that was Ziggy Stardust! I really appreciated 1976!

Up until 1973, listening to Bowie albums, such as Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, The Man Who Sold The World and even Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, was sort of a secretive thing that you did with like-minded people. It was like being part of a club that 'got it'. My dad certainly never got it! He threatened to have me checked out by a shrink when he found a 4 foot high poster, in my bedroom, of Bowie bedecked in a pink spangled jockstrap, sequinned leotard and looking very very camp - he blew his stack! That was in the days when kids could shock thier parents - as it should be Smile

As you can probably guess... I am a lot older than you and probably most of the other members of this forum. Bowie is 12 years older than me...you do the maths Smile Geez! My kids are probably more representative of the age group of this forum! My daughter is 21 and a mad Bowie fan, and my son is 19. As you can imagine, they were brought up with the sounds of Bowie permeating thier brain cells - even if only by osmosis. I once sang the whole of the Aladdin Sane album (very softly) to my daughter, when she was a couple of months old, one night, in a vain attempt to get her off to sleep Smile

It's great to find out that his back catalogue is so appealing to a lot of younger people (I class anybody under 40 as young!)

The best,

Ziggs

Back to top Go down
Michaela
Admin
Michaela

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 1:55 am

I bet he was great to see live all those times!
I do hope he comes back, so I can see him live, however if it would be bad for his health, I understand.
Back to top Go down
LadyStardust
Queen Bitch
LadyStardust

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 7:21 am

Ziggs, I am so jealous! I'd give anything to go back in time to see Ziggy Stardust live :'(
Back to top Go down
Ladymoondust
Thin White Duke
Ladymoondust

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:53 pm

you are so lucky! when i think that i should have seen a concert of the reality tour here in Italy and i haven't i feel very sad... but anyway i was really young, so also if i loved him very much probably i couldnt really appreciate him... but i feel sad anyway! Toung i hope very much to have the opportunity to see him!
Back to top Go down
Vicky T
Absolute Beginner

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 am

If I ever meet or see David Bowie, that'll probably make my life lol
I hope I get a chance before he', y'know, which is impossible because dude's the ageless god of rock.
Back to top Go down
zanezanezane
Absolute Beginner
zanezanezane

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:15 am

Oh, Lord...after reading a little bit more here inside the forum I feel like a dinosaur! Seems to me that I'm really one of the elder ones here only beaten by one guy who had the chance to see David playing in the 70ies during his TWD-period!

Okay, let's see. The first time I saw and met him was in 1987. First I must say that I've become a fan or better an admirer of the greatest artist of our time when I was only 10 years old. It was in 1982 and a work-collegue from my father had forgotten an LP. (For those who dunno what it is: it's a record with music onto it and we used to listen to that medium long, long times before you kids got cd's or MP3's or MP4's!! Wink)
This record was "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust..." and I absolutely loved it! At that time there where other bands out there such as Duran Duran, Kajagoogoo, Simply Red, Boy George and Culture Club etc. - David was just so different! It seems to me that I actually felt in love with him when I first listened to "Moonage Daydream"!
The there was the "Serious Moonlight-Tour" and all that Media-Hype in '83. For me it was the beginning of my long-live-love to David and the beginning of collecting nearly everything I could find or get of him. All these posters, LP's, Books and all that memorabillia that you collect when you become truely obsessed about somebody...You could see no more wallpaper in my room because everything was so fully covered with David!
And you younger ones: Don't mind if you have argues because of him; there will always be a few not open minded people who will never ever understand or even imagine what David Bowie did to the music of our time! Bands like Placebo, Nirvana, U2, Nine Inch Nails would have never ever been able to record only one note without a David Bowie! He had influenced soooo many bands, musicians, singer/songwriters and not just with his music but also with his style, his outlook and even with his hairdo! So just keep on smiling and keep in mind that YOU know it better!

But, back to topic. So, my first concert was on the 6th of June in 1987 in Berlin, at the Reichstag, the Wall was still standing and it was something I will never ever forget! I also had the chance to listen to the Soundcheck that he and the Band made in the afternoon and there he played "All the Madmen" only for a few of us! You can watch the videos on youtube, but you won't have no chance of timetravelling and be a witness of that, ha!

Me and my best friend became real followers of David from that day on and so we saw him in Hamburg, Nürnberg, Stuttgart and Vienna that year and we also had the chance to meet him outside of his Hotel in Vienna where he stayed and say "Hello" to him the first time!
He was so gentle, so sympathic and so open-hearted - I would have never ever imagined! For me a dream came true and the only thing I really can remember of that first time of meeting him was that he was sooo small and sooo thin! He's just 1,72 cm - well maybe not anymore Wink.

After "The Glass-Spider-Tour" it was up to the Tin Machine-Gigs in Hamburg and Amsterdam on the first tour and then on the "It's my life-Tour", the second part with the second Album it was up to Berlin, München. Stuttgart, Hamburg and Hannover to see him playing with TM. In each and every city we tried to find out in what Hotel he was and often we had the chance to see him checking in or leaving for show and coming in again late in the night. So we used to stay there and aks for autographs or just to make some pictures or to say "Hello!".

Then there was the "Sound and Vision-Tour" where we first decided to check into the same Hotel as he did. This was the "Kempinski Hotel" in Frankfurt-Gravenbroich. We first saw him when he checked in and we had the chance to talk to the Boys of the Band Erdal Kizilkay and Adrian Belew who where very friendly and funny: they invited us to drive with them in the tour-bus which we didn't and this is just something that I will never ever forgive myself! We where driving with our own car to the concert in the "Festhalle" which was a Fiat Panda and we decided to follow the Big Benz, in which David was sitting with Melissa Hurley, which she dated he at that time. You may know, what happened! We just had no chance to follow that big-PS-Monster! Arrrrgh!!! We just have been so stupid during that days! But we where young: only 18 and 19. It's been long, long ago...
Well, in the night we sat together in the lobby of the "Kempinski" just beneath David and Coco and the rest of the crew and then it was all worth it!!! We had red-whine and David drank Gin-pure-on-the-rocks!
There was also Hamburg, Berlin, Stuttgart and Dortmund where we have been but from that period I remember and simply will never ever forget Frankfurt....

Later there was the Outside-Tour to come and we've been in Dortmund, Hamburg, Frankfurt and Berlin.

I just missed the Earthling-Tour. Dunno know exactly why. I had a lot of personal things and trouble during that time, I'm allready 39 years old now, I have a grown-up son aged 18, had lost my husband in 1997. So, there where no good times. And no times to visit David on Tour. But I had the chance to see him during "Wetten, daß...?" which is a big saturday-evening show here on german television and the recorded in in Münster/Germany.

So, the last time I've seen David was on the "Reality-Show" in 2003 in Cologne. Only one time, only one show. Well, must have been my age, ha? Times of travelling are over. I'm just no young teenager anymore and I must say to my shame that I had a few years where my passion for David hasn't been THAT strong.
But: those days are over! With youtube and a lot of fanpages - including this forum here - it all came back and today I'm into it again collecting just each and every picture or interview on the internet that I can find.

So, I hope no one has fallen asleep while reading this and that you may have enjoyed some of the memories I shared with you! All the best and greetings from Germany to all of you! sunny
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:57 am

Welcome, zanezanezane Smile

Finally good to see someone here who're older than I Toung
And I'm so envious of your Bowie-life! I am just 3-4 years younger than you, and I only really discovered db in 1997 or so! It's silly really. And then I decided against going to his concert in my home town (Bergen, Norway) in 2004, because "I can always see him the next time he comes around" O.o And then he goes and has his heart attack... Yeah, I'm very dumb Toung

Well, good to have you onbard, girl! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you met or seen David Bowie?   Have you met or seen David Bowie? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you met or seen David Bowie?
Page 1 of 1