David Bowie
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Bowie

A David Bowie Forum.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

db Biographies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Have anyone read a good Bowie biography?

I’ve only read Loving the Alien by Christopher Sandford, a book I found very informing and interesting, although perhaps a bit dry at times. Have anyone read other biographies?

Alternatively, are there other non-Bowie (auto-)biographies that contain interesting information to a Bowie-fan? Keith Richards’ “Life” perhaps?

Here my only contribution is Slash by Anthony Bozza, which, as far as I can remember mentions Bowie three times:
- Slash’s mother, Ola Hudson, was Bowie’s costume designer (on Young Americans, Station to Station, and The Man Who Fell to Earth), and the two also had an affair for a while. Slash and Duncan Jones used to have play-dates while their parents worked.
- Once when Bowie (and Ola) came to see Guns n’ Roses play, Axl Rose abused Bowie from the stage because he had got it in his head that Bowie had stolen his then girl friend Erin Everly.
- When Slash began loosing touch with reality due to his drug addiction, Ola made him call Bowie up and ask for advice to kick his habit.

Back to top Go down
macarawni
Absolute Beginner
macarawni

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

I actually haven't read any David Bowie biographys, but I'm on the waiting list at my library for 2 of them. So the ones I'm going to read I've heard they are the best ones (especially considering the librarian there is a hardcore DB fan who is like 50 and she is the one who gave me the advice). Anyways those books are "The complete David Bowie" ( I don't remember who this one is by) and "Bowie: a biography" by Marc Spitz. There is actually a web site for that last one, It is www.davidbowiebook.com
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Please do tell how you find the books when you eventually get to read them Smile
Back to top Go down
macarawni
Absolute Beginner
macarawni

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:39 pm

Most definitely :3
Back to top Go down
Ladymoondust
Thin White Duke
Ladymoondust

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 pm

I read some of his biography and i think that my favourite is "strange fascination" by David Buckley, is pretty good Very Happy
i found it on amazon, i read it in english, 'cause i couldnt find it in italian, but i have no idea about the other languages, i'm sorry
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:33 am

Macarawni, did you ever get to read any of those biographies?

Ladymoondust, I have put Strange Fascination on my wish list. It seems it gets both very strong and quite poor reviews, but this is usual with everything db. I mean, some of the reviewers out there are pretty damn lame! Wink

I'm currently reading the Mick Ronson biography, The Spider with the Platinum Hair, by Weird and Guilly (no kidding!). It isn't the best of bios technically (the actual writing could be better and more inspiring), but it is very nice to read about the life and work of Mick Ronson. It seems he was such a swell guy, a very nice person Smile
Back to top Go down
macarawni
Absolute Beginner
macarawni

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:08 pm

@angelman yup the read the biography "Bowie by Mark Spitz" i would say that it was pretty good, considering the length of the book it can get a little dry at some parts. Whats cool is that the auther is a huge bowie fan himself, but this means that he tends to rant about his favorite parts ocasionaly. But overall Mr. Bowie is a VERY interesting person and had the most intreaging life. Its a MUST-READ.

sorry i hadnt reviewed it earlier! i got so caught up in my life that i forgot this forum existed... : ( sorry!
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 11:09 am

No problem, macarawni Smile

I'll be sure to pick up that book some time, it sounds nice!

The Mick Ronson biograpy I'm currently reading is quite good, and it is interesting to see another perspective to db, a book that contains much db information, but where the focus isn't on him. Interesting stuff Smile

And Mick Ronsons was the nicest fellow ever! Wish I could have met him...
Back to top Go down
Vicky T
Absolute Beginner

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 am

Recently, I was reading over this one Bowie biography I found in Borders focusing on his life and music before and during the Berlin Trilogy era. I learned a lot. I forgot the name though. I didn't buy it though as I didn't have the money haha.
Back to top Go down
ZiggyBowieFan01
Absolute Beginner
ZiggyBowieFan01

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

I read the Mark Spitz one it was good. The cool part was that at the end of some chapters he would talk about the different stuff he did as a fan like when he met Bowie and some different stuff pretty cool I think
Back to top Go down
Vicky T
Absolute Beginner

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 1:01 pm

ZiggyBowieFan01 wrote:
I read the Mark Spitz one it was good. The cool part was that at the end of some chapters he would talk about the different stuff he did as a fan like when he met Bowie and some different stuff pretty cool I think

Oh I was reading through that one on Borders (R.I.P.) the other day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Angelman
Aladdin Sane
Angelman

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 am

I read Angela Bowie's "Backstage Passes" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backstage-Passes-Life-David-Bowie/dp/0815410018/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312218025&sr=1-1) and Dave Thompson's "Hallo Spaceboy: The Rebirth of David Bowie" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hallo-Spaceboy-Rebirth-David-Bowie/dp/1550227335/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312217919&sr=1-1) during my vacation in England.

The first book is Angie's tale about her life with her ex-husband, and despite the often gruling reviews this book gets, it was rather good actually. It isn't actually a book about db, but more Angie's autobiography (entire chapters go by without db making an appearance), although she does offer a unique insight into the Bowie she knew back in the 70s. I found her vulgarness and sometimes self-absorbeness to be a bit annoying at times, but this book is well worth reading.

The second book is about db's career from 1987 to 2006, and is a very good biography of a period that is mostly glossed over by other biographies. I liked this one very much, especially since it complements other db biographies so well. If you're at all interested in Bowie's 90s-early 2000s, THEN READ THIS BOOK!

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

db Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: db Biographies   db Biographies I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

db Biographies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
David Bowie :: David Bowie :: Everything Else-
Jump to: